baner-1

Tourist Attractions

Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
 

Cetatea RupeaThe Rupea Fortresse

The fortress of Rupea nowadays covers an area of approximately 11 ha (~27 acres) together with its walls, towers and inner courtyards. Because of its dominant position near the European route E60, to the north, and on the right of the city, it is a remarkable presence from a great distance …

RupeaThe Evangelical Church in Rupea

The monument is nowadays almost hidden by buildings that have covered the front street line during the contemporary era, for the sake of an incipient city’s town planning. …

FiserThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Fişer

8 km away from Rupea, towards Sighisoara, we find the evangelical church from Fișer. The beginnings of this building, located on higher ground in the northern part of the village, are unknown and can be roughly dated during the fifteenth century …

BunestiThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Buneşti

Medieval community was dominated by family grevială up immediately after the middle of the fifteenth century. The church was built as a basilica with three naves. It was then rebuilt in the Gothic style, first polygonal choir and sacristy, and with one ship, stepped buttresses pace…

ViscriThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Viscri (UNESCO)

The complex is included in the UNESCO Romania patrimony list. There are many elements detailing the history of its use as a fortification. The initial initiative belonged to certain anonymous grebs who managed, sometime in the second half of the thirteenth century, to build a small chapel and a keep, westwards along its axis, both protected by a simple curtain wall lacking flanking elements…

CritThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Criţ

The settlement has a grand name: „Deutsch-Kreuz” (= German Cross). Ever since its first medieval mentions, the settlement belonged to the monastery complex of Cârţa. It was only after 1474 that the settlement was fully integrated in the privileged Saxon community, namely in the seat of Sighişoara.

MesendorfThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Meşendorf

It is one of the few settlements in the region to preserve a single name, used by all ethnical groups of inhabitants. Though the first name (Poteluky = The Priest’s Plot) suggests the existence of an early church, things are more complicated since it belonged to an ecclesiastical domain, namely the Cistercian monastery of Cârţa and thus the name might make reference to this state of facts…

RoadesThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Roadeş

Despite the fact that the documented history of the settlement does not start at an early date, its historical monuments attest to the contrary.

CataThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Caţa

„The Cats’ Village” (Katzendorf) appears relatively late in written documents (around 1400), but the aspect of its church testifies immediately to an origin over a century before. The edifice is among those well preserving the basilical structure of the nave (end of the thirteenth century), with semicircular arches and tower on the western facade.

DrauseniThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Drăuşeni

In a mysterious manner, the royal privilege stating the boundaries of the Saxons’ territory, issued by king Andrew II, mentions Drăuşeni as this territory’s eastern limit. Archaeologists have uncovered the remains of a small chapel with semicircular apse (north of the central nave), which they dated to the twelfth-thirteenth century.

BeiaThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Beia

Beia preserves an old medieval parish church (probably dedicated to St. Ursula), which prior to the end of the sixteenth century became a Lutheran one. But, in the absence of thorough research, its beginnings are not precisely known, thus remaining to be roughly attributed to the fourteenth century.

Ionesti

The Unitarian Fortified Church in Ioneşti

Starting from a different demographic nucleus, the settlement changed its initial population almost completely: the Saxons disappeared and the Hungarians represent the majority. The “Eyanis village” attested in 1334 ended up, in 1448, as Janosfalva. The latter might derive from the church’s patron saint (John)…

UngraThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Ungra

Local settlement in Ungra started with the German colonization; during the sixteenth century, Ungra was inhabited by both Saxons and Szeklers. Over the following centuries the population became even more composite, with the addition of Romanians and Gypsies, but the Saxon community almost disappeared.

Ticusu VechiThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Ticuşu Vechi

The fortified church that no longer preserves any medieval elements can be dated to the nineteenth century. The precinct wall follows a trapezoidal ground plan, longer along the church’s main axis and with the shorter side eastwards. A gate with semicircular arch and two partially preserved buttresses can be seen on the western side; beside traces on the parament, they indicate a more complicated history…

CoborThe Reformed Fortified Church in Cobor

Some researchers believe the first documentary mention of the settlement goes as far back as the beginning of the thirteenth century, in the context of an early noble domain. Later on, we find the settlement mentioned among those belonging to the Seat of Rupea, part of which it remained until the modern administrative reforms.

RacosThe Sükösd-Bethlen Castle in Racoş

Presently located at the crossing of two of the settlement’s streets, the castle is remarkable through its still imposing stature, typical to Late Renaissance architecture. It follows a rectangular ground plan, with the long sides facing south and north, and circular towers placed on the corners…

JibertThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Jibert

The medieval church, built by the Saxon community, disappeared during the early modern (1676) and modern eras (1868). The fortification around it is mentioned in 1861. That source reveals that it had two curtain walls and two towers.

DaciaThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Dacia

Fortification developed around the Evangelical church. The curtain wall encircles a rather ample precinct, following in ground plan the shape of a trapezoid with the short side northwards and the two lateral sides westwards and eastwards; it was mutilated by modern constructions placed in the south-western corner.

HomorodThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Homorod

Late Romanesque church later fortified. A tower, probably incorrectly labeled as a keep, was built over the ancient choir. As long as both chronology and owner remain unknown, one can hardly accept the tower’s function as keep without precaution…

JiborThe Evangelical Church in Jimbor

The Hungarian Evangelical Church from the village of Jimbor, a hall-shaped building that has five sides on the Eastern side, dates from the XVth century, but suffered a series of transformation that altered its structure…

Cetate-JimborThe Jimbor Fortresse

In 1469, vice-voivodeIoan of Rede signed an official document in Zombor. In 1486, „Sombor” was a settlement in the see of Rupea. Its name can be interpreted in a novel and surprising manner, different from the traditional derivation from a Hungarian eponym…

MercheasaThe Evangelical Fortified Church in Mercheaşa

The center of the settlement was organized around the architectural complex of the Evangelical church. Its history already started in the thirteenth century. The original building was a three-nave basilica, as indicated by the central nave, the only standing today, after severe transformations.

Hoghiz CalvThe Calvinist Church in Hoghiz

The Reformed Church in Hoghiz is a stone building that can be dated to the eighteenth century since it was already recorded in the eastern half of the village on the Josephine survey map (1769-1773). It is often believed that Bethlen Kata had the initiative of building the church in 1749…

Hoghiz UnitarianaThe Unitarian Church in Hoghiz, located on the settlement’s southern side, is recognized as the heir of a parish church in use there during the Middle Ages. Balázs Orbán (1868) believed that it was the Saxon fortified church that underwent significant changes after a siege during the time of George Rákóczi II (1621-1660).

Hoghiz CastelThe Kalnoky Castle in Hoghiz

Near the Haller Castle, even at the same number, the castle’s buildings are deployed – the main corpus and the extensions, with archaic features, some certain reminders of the Renaissance period: the right side (the ground floor over the basement) with not too wide rectangular openings, flanked on the corners by two two-level polygonal bastions which carry pyramid shaped roofs…

Hoghiz CastThe Haller Castle in Hoghiz

The so-called Haller Castle (after the family Haller of Hallerkő) (no. 75) is situated in a lovely park, with rich vegetation, and is still dominated by centuries old oaks. Today it houses an elementary school…

BogataThe Bogata Forest Reservation

Bogata Forest takes its name from the homonym creek flowing through it for ca. 10 km. The forest includes various, not only historical riches: geological, physical-geological, landscape, botanical, and forest-related features…

BazaltThe Perşani Mountains. The Basalt Columns from Racoş

Perșani Mountains, belong to the Eastern Carpathians and cover an area of one tousand square kilometers. They are separated from Făgăraș and Piatra Craiului Mountains by the Șinca and Bârsa Valleys…

2642 Total Vizualizări 3 Astăzi
Back to Top